High school students are more fully engaged in their education and postsecondary decision-making when they understand the “real life” connections between education and future careers. The Power and Promise of Pathways: How to Prepare All American Students for Career and Life Success, written by the National Center for College and Career Transitions (NC3T) founder Hans Meeder, offers educators a comprehensive look at secondary pathways from the early planning stage to full implementation along with key issues relating to the transformation a pathways initiative brings to an entire community. Topics are presented with current research and best practice examples:
- Defining career and life readiness and why this is important.
- Developing a comprehensive pathways system that addresses six key components.
- Building a career development system that deeply impacts how students and their parents plan for postsecondary education and careers.
- Integrating college, career, and life readiness into exciting and engaging pathway programs that also address critical workforce needs and opportunities.
- Collaborating meaningfully with employer and community organizations in order to form mutually beneficial partnerships that offer opportunities for students to experience the world beyond school.
- Integrating dynamic teaching and learning approaches into pathway programs so that students also learn important life and employability skills.
Hans Meeder is president of the National Center for College and Career Transitions, an organization that provides coaching and technical assistance for schools and communities involved in launching a college and career pathways system. Hans, former Deputy Assistant Secretary at the U.S. Department of Education, is an internationally recognized speaker and author with expertise in pathways, school reform, career and technical education, and STEM education.
Order copies for your staff and stakeholders!